• 11 pts
    Counselor
    May 16, 2020 at 11:28 pm #8861

Watch period for the next three days for north coast of California. 250 KM radius from Ferndale, CA. M6+ potential with large low approaching.

This watch is also in support of any forecasters with this area noted.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Counselor.
    Score: 0
    15 pts
    Canyonrat
    May 17, 2020 at 6:26 am #8866

Counselor, thank you for the “nod”! I am really looking inland but set a wide radius only because I don’t/can’t see the energy clearly. I am holding with my original forecast for Northern California between the two big volcanoes. But I am considering a change to the forecast, but too busy running down disappearing quakes at this time. LOL

11 pts
    Counselor
    May 18, 2020 at 3:08 pm #8872

Well… a 5.5 252 KM west of this location is a solid miss. 🙂

Hopefully, someone in here got this one?

15 pts
    Canyonrat
    May 18, 2020 at 4:04 pm #8873

One day left in your watch! If you are using the EQ3D program, it is interesting to see 5 quake locations in play on the west coast. We have at the south the 4.5 at Ocotillo Wells California, then the big 6.5 in Nevada, the 4.4 in Yellow Stone Park Idaho, then the 4.7 off shore Vancouver Island Canada, and now the new 5.5 and 4.5 off shore California at the south end of the Juan de Fuca. The 4 smaller quake locationss form a diamond shape with the 6.5 centered in the lower triangle shape, and this leaves an open spot in the middle of the top triangle shape. Guess what sits in that middle empty/quiet spot, Mount Saint Helens, Mount Adams, and Mount Hood.

This could be a cinematic moment when the Scientists are looking at the map and realize what they see and say, “oh my God!”. Then they all run to their jeeps and race toward to one of those three volcanoes. LOL You have to have some fun at this forecasting thing.

I am not in anyway indicating an eruption. What I am indicating is we should watch for seismic activity near their. Later I will look more closely and perhaps make a forecast, and as always the area is open for all forecasters to make forecasts.

11 pts
    Counselor
    May 18, 2020 at 6:49 pm #8876

Oh cool… Btw, 40th anniversary of Mt. St. Helen’s last major eruption!

11 pts
    Counselor
    May 18, 2020 at 7:49 pm #8877

Just in case this quakes in the area were foreshock activity… I am extending this watch for another 4 days. Total of 7 from the initial post.

115 pts
    lester
    May 18, 2020 at 9:02 pm #8880

Hey Counselor,

I am considering posting a one day forecast for a mag “2” to occur at the corner of Connor & Gimber in Los Angeles, on Thursday 21st May !

Will I be successful ?… 🙂

15 pts
    Canyonrat
    May 19, 2020 at 7:34 pm #8885

Ok, I looked very closely, must agree with you and I too am placing a forecast in your area for a M6+ for 7 days from today. Also I’m going to place a forecast for the volcano area I mentions for M6+ next 7 days.

11 pts
    Counselor
    May 23, 2020 at 3:59 am #8904

Hi Lester,

Great success… LOL. Our youngest turned 2 that day. 🙂 Good memory!

I may have have to do a new post you guys, but I will max out this one instead.

Mag 6+ will end on 7 days out, but I will max this out to 20 days from initial post with a Mag 7+. I may scrap this if I can come back again soon.

15 pts
    Canyonrat
    May 23, 2020 at 3:43 pm #8906

Counselor,

Happy birthday to your your young one! Happy big two!

And back to business.

We had a new M 5.2 – 151km W of Port Hardy, Canada 2020-05-23 02:14:51 (UTC) 50.428°N 129.509°W 10.0 km depth. I think we can say the Juan de Fuca is fully energized, so we should see that energy moving on shore in the next few days. We should all consider extending our forecasts in California to “capture” this new potential seismic energy. What is interesting about this new 5.2 is the energy is mostly pushing northward and I would expect it to push south or east. But I have noticed offshore quakes are less likely to get a moment tensor calculation by the USGS and I am new to using moment tensor data.

115 pts
    lester
    May 23, 2020 at 7:09 pm #8912

Somebody saw this one coming from 15th April, using volcanic correlations 🙂 … proclamations !

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search