• NomadicFred
    7 pts
    NomadicFred
    August 17, 2019 at 2:34 pm #6338

I am wanting to put together ways to determine depth of quakes as part of the predictions. However i am not sure yet on how to go about that… I see a lot of quakes being reported as 10KM, is there something in how the depth is determined that forces an estimate the closer to the surface, and likewise becomes more accurate when the distance increases to all the different numbers we see in the Blot Echo Range… My first thought is that as (i assume) sound wave returns closer to the surface it flattens out more and more and thus it becomes harder to determine… in either case i will continue to learn about how and where these measurements are taken for USGS to post a depth and see if i can use a combination of average depth for area and maybe the landformations of the areas in question to be able to create a depth value in the prediction than can become better.

Score: 0
    NomadicFred
    7 pts
    NomadicFred
    June 5, 2020 at 1:40 pm #8992

As an update to what I am doing to expand on this part: To develop a depth for my predictions I use the average of all 6.0 quakes or better in the area of the forecast over the last 30 years. I would like to figure out a way to improve this to something a little more scientific that takes in a little more, but this is still a mathematical process overall, simple that it is, and would take in consideration the morphology of the landscape, just like the markets take into account just about everything about an index or security and reflect it in the overall price.

Score: 0
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search