• 6 pts
    JEC
    July 14, 2020 at 7:44 pm #9258

Surface water, or even injected water(Fracking) is theorized to cause earthquakes. In Sichuan China, due to floods and hundreds of dams containing extreme amounts of water, smaller earthquakes seem to be occuring. As at least one dam, Three Gorges Dam, is built over faults, small quakes due to water containment could cause more major events. The 2008 Sichuan quake was caused by water containment, per experts. A discussion on the history of the area..and increasing quakes is found here:

From what has been observered in China, and in the case of Ghana, Africa..small quakes do seem to be more frequent and related to dam building. See forecast pages for Sichuan Forecast and thoughts on the ongoing issues in that area.

Score: 0
    15 pts
    Canyonrat
    August 1, 2020 at 7:30 pm #9339

Great information. Thank you for sharing. Many years ago I heard a story that as Lake Mead was filling up after the completion of the Hoover Dam, there were many quakes for the first year or so. I have more recently hear that some people theorize that during wet periods that water seeps down into faults and the act like a lubricant which allow the faults to move and thus cause an earthquake. Logically I must agree with the lubricant idea, buut would add that it could take months for the water to seep down to a depth or 10km+, where most quakes occur. Mark

Score: 0
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search